Thursday, February 26, 2009

Think on These Things

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

How often do we really stop and think about what we are putting into our minds and hearts? JUST STOP. THINK. Every time we listen to a song, read a book, watch a movie, look at a magazine, we are taking a little bit of that into ourselves. I mean that we aren't going to be able to just walk away from a romantic movie without thinking about how we wish we could be in a romantic relationship, etc. Is there really any virtue in thinking/dwelling on something that hasn't been given to us by God? The answer is no. The reason is God is the giver of good things. He wants us to dwell on those good things He has given us and trust Him for the things that He has yet to give us.

So often I watched a TV show and a "That's not right. I shouldn't be watching this" pebble dug into the heel of my conscience. ANd sadly I just took it out and kept walking. I am ashamed to say this but it's better for me to stop now and realize why I ignored the pebble.

When I do this I ignore the conscience that Jesus gave me as a trip wire that sets off an alarm in my heart: "STOP! Jesus is watching you. Jesus is right here right now. Is this something you would be doing if you could see Him standing there next to you?"

A thousand times that trip wire has gone off but I'm sad to say there have been too many times when I closed my ears and ignored it or reasoned it away.

That alarm is Jesus' way of saying, "I love you. You are my child. I don't want you to put junk in your head. I want you to be talking to Me and loving Me. These things are going to pull you away from Me. I want you to be My friend. Please don't shut Me out. Turn to Me."

Tonight and tomorrow and forever, WHENEVER I hear that alarm, WHEREVER I am, I am going to stop what I am doing and look to Jesus. He is true and honest and just and pure. And He is the only thing I want to have forever in my heart and on my mind. No country song or romantic movie is worth missing out on being with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment